Sunday, December 27, 2015

Ragi Cookies(Finger Millet Cookies)



Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all my friends!Once when I went for shopping instead of getting plain Ragi flour I got sprouted and roasted Ragi flour.The moment I opened the pack the aroma made me read the label again .I just loved the smell and immediately I wanted to make cookies using this roasted Ragi flour. My son loves chocolate cookies and these cookies would be an ideal and healthy substitute (atleast I could trick him!) These cookies were crunchy and light.



Makes:around 20 cookies
Preparation time:35 mins

Ingredients:
Roasted Ragi Flour/Finger Millet Flour-1/2 cup
Whole Wheat Flour-1/2 cup
Powdered Sugar-1/2 cup
Butter-1/2 cup
Baking powder-1 tsp
Vanilla essence -1 tsp
Milk -if needed to make the dough

Procedure:

1.Sift Ragi flour,whole wheat flour and baking powder together.To this flour mixture add the butter.


2.Mix the butter well and add the powdered sugar to it.


3.Add the vanilla essence also and mix well to form a cookie dough.Add a little milk if the dough is too dry.


4.Take a small portion of the dough and make a small all and flatten it on a greased baking tray . Using fork you can create the pattern on the cookie as I did.


5. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade and place the baking tray and bake the cookies for 15-18 mins.


6. Ragi Cookies are ready . Once they are out of the oven,they are soft but once cooled , they turn crispy. Store them in an air tight jar for up to a week.



Tips:
* You can use cardamom powder instead of vanilla essence.
*Powdered jaggery can be added instead of sugar. 

3 comments: